Be aware of Predatory Journals
Some open access journals, called "predatory journals", are published only to aim stealing APC from authors or their funders.
They aim to make profits from Article Processing Charge (APC). As the market of Open Access Journals grows, the number of "predatory journals" also increase.
The tricks of predatory journals
- Title and font or logo closely resembles a highly respected publication
- Advertising the editorial boards, using well-known names on journal mastheads or as honorary editors without the knowledge or consent of those scholars
- Sending an individualized e-mail without disclosing initially that a fee will be charged
Kearney MH; INANE Predatory Publishing Practices Collaborative. Predatory publishing: what authors need to know. Res Nurs Health. 2015 Feb;38(1):1-3. DOI: 10.1002/nur.21640
Serious problems of "Predatory Journals"
- Rising a doubt about the validity of research results arise
- The author and his/her employer will lose academic credibility
- Problems related to APC might occur.
- The author might not be able to withdraw the manuscript and can’t re-submit the article to other publishers.
- The accessibility of the publication may not be guaranteed due to the closure of the website.
＊Caplan, Arthur L. The Problem of Publication-Pollution Denialism. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 90(5): 565-566. DOI: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.02.017
＊栗山 正光. ハゲタカオープンアクセス出版社への警戒. 情報管理. 58(2): 92-99. DOI: 10.1241/johokanri.58.92
How do we defend ourselves from the predatory journals?
We encourage you to refer to and consider multiple sources.
This helps researchers identify trusted journals and publishers for their research.
【About the journal and publisher】
□Do you or your colleagues know the journal?
□Have you read any articles in the journal before?
□Is it easy to discover the latest papers in the journal?
□Can you easily identify and contact the publisher?
□Is the publisher name clearly displayed on the journal website?
□Is the publisher a member of a recognized industry initiative?
□Is the journal clear about the type of peer review it uses?
□Are articles indexed in services that you use?
□Is it clear what fees will be charged?
– Does the journal site explain what these fees are for and when they will be charged? 【Editorial Board】
□Do you recognise the editorial board?
– Have you heard of the editorial board members?
□Do the editorial board mention the journal on their own websites?
This is a database contains over 16,500 peer-reviewed open access journals.
→ Is the publisher a member of a recognized industry initiative?
This service provides you publisher-neutral data and statistics.岡山大学研究推進機構｜論文指標について（学内限定）
This website aims to make the scientific review process more transparent. It provides first response time and peer-review time.
→Is the journal clear about the type of peer review it uses?
We subscribe the journals listed in the page above.
→ Are articles indexed in services that you use?
Caution: "Hijacked journals"
"Hijacked journals" are the fake journal or its website that copies the title, ISSN and other information of the formal journal. Please be careful when submitting your manuscripts.
When you submit your manuscripts, please confirm the domain of the journal's website and mail address.
独協医学会 : 〔注意喚起〕Dokkyo Journal of Medical Sciencesを騙る偽Webサイトについて
J-STAGE : 学術誌の偽のジャーナルサイトにご注意ください
鳥取大学附属図書館 : Yonago Acta Medicaを騙る偽のWebサイトについて
京都大学 : 生存圏研究所の学術誌「Sustainable Humanosphere」を名乗る偽雑誌について
札幌医科大学附属総合情報センター : 【注意喚起】札幌医学雑誌を名乗る偽サイトについて